Great news! Smarty peed in the toilet twice today! I swear, I had totally laid off you guys. It was all him. I was doing my potty thing, and he lugged the potty chair in by himself, took off his clothes and diaper, and let 'er go! Of course we had a big freak-out (which woke up Sweety; he was less than enthusiastic about the whole thing) and whipped out the chocolate and stickers and partied!
Are you all dying to know what finally motivated him? Our speech therapist was here working with Sweety this morning, and she promised him a 'shake 'n go' car once he was fully trained. (He already owns like 9! I can't believe they're still enticing!) That's all he needed to hear. We've attempted to bribe him with other cool stuff, but what can I say? Kids just get mommy and daddy deaf, I swear.
It's not like he was perfect all day, and I know it's not reasonable to hope that we're well under way, but having him excited about the whole thing is a huge step forward for us. Hopefully we've started a new chapter, but I promise, if he's not ready to go, it's okay with me. I'm just going to maintain a supportive role and let him direct this. Phew! I'm just so relieved that this may actually be a goal he'll "aim" for too! (okay that was really stupid, I know)
Not to be outdone, Sweety has his own potty story to share as well. Last night I was rushing around to get the kids dressed, medicated, and ready for bed. Sweety had a blistered, diaper-rashed bum so I was letting him just air out, diaper-less, for a minute. Now before you judge me, I promise, never in my 3+ years with children have I ever had anyone pee or poop immediately following a bath. Usually if they're going to have an accident it happens fairly quickly after being exposed to the air.
Well I learned something new last night: diarrhea is no respecter of traditions. Yep that's right, Sweety's little, tiny baby body unloaded all over my living room carpet. Super fun! It's amazing what you can survive, hu! But you'll all be glad to hear that after some TLC, Sweety's diaper rash is on the mend tonight. I think he'll survive as well.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment