Monday, July 14, 2008

Glad to be Optimistic

In Ben's post last Wednesday (July 9th) he mentioned a quote that Richard (I am double-checking, but I think that's his first name) Clayton gave at the leadership training meeting from our last Stake Conference. (a Stake is like a district in the L.D.S. church) I wanted to give you the full story. I've thought about it many times since then and it has really lifted my general mood.

After Elder Clayton ('elder' refers to his position in church leadership) was finished speaking he opened up a question/answer session. An older woman, struggling with her emotions, mentioned the recent death of President Hinkley. She said she drew much hope from his constant optimism. As the world gets worse and worse she never feared for the future as long as he was head of our church. So her question was essentially, Does our new prophet, and the quorum of the twelve, have as much hope for the future? Can we lean on them for unfailing generosity and cheer during this very selfish period of humanity?

I swear the whole room got quiet and everyone leaned in, ears open, for the answer. Elder Clayton was great. He mentioned some of the insanity of these days, and then he mentioned many of the wonderful things that have happened lately too. Then he quoted several biblical scriptures that basically tell us what will happen in the future: wickedness will increase, but so will righteousness. It will always seam easier to be selfish and wicked, but eventually those that are sincerely trying to do what is right and best will win-out. All we have to do is pick the right side, play for the winning team. And luckily we already know which side that is.

As far as the attitude of President Monson and the other leaders, he said he couldn't quote them personally, but he felt they were very optimistic. They talk excitedly about the amazing ways the church is able to help the world now, and powerful faith of it's members. Then he said something that I just love. He said President Monson literally whistles or hums everywhere he walks! Is it even possible for someone to do that if they are pessimistic? That was so great for me to hear.

After that Elder Clayton summed up by telling us to cheer-up in the face of the world, and that's when he said, "Don't worry; it'll get worse!" We all had a good laugh at that. But it's true, it doesn't matter how bad things get for the world or for us personally. As long as we stick to what's right, things will work out eventually. We can't live in fear of the bad, or we will be paralyzed and unable to be happy and spread good.

It's a daunting task, but I am resolved to proactively deliver hope to the world. I will continue to teach my children what I believe to be right, even if that's weird or old-fashioned. I will attempt to be generous with my fellowman and kind to my neighbor. I aim to never let fear of all things bad, stop me from enjoying all things good.

No comments: