Wednesday, July 9, 2008

My soap box/ thoughts (Ben posted)

I'm a lurker of sorts. I do comment though.While reading Score One For Darwin and one nation under bubble wrap I was reminded of a Ford training I want to. We were shooting the breeze and talking about cars now versus 50 years ago. The instructor said, "Now days we have: ABS brakes; traction control; side, frontal, rollover air bags; all wheel drive; crumple zones; power steering; seat belts; and many other safety devices. Personally I think we're messing with natural selection. Back in the day we didn't have all these idiots on the road. People had to learn to drive."

I thought that was pretty darn funny. Those are funny bloggers by the way, go visit.

I've never seen it, I just saw the previews a million times. In "A Few Good Men" there is a movie where a character yells, "You can't handle the truth!"

The truth is a funny thing. In my experience it is really funny or really hurtful. Usually funny to people who are watching from the outside.

A while back I had the chance to talk in sacrament meeting about anything I wanted. I chose to talk on being offended.
If you ask me I think that 90% of inactive members of my church are inactive because of being offended. After my talk, which basically made this point, a member told me of a quote from Brigham Young, with which I totally agree. It basically goes that: If you become offended by someone who did not mean to offend, then you are a fool. You are an even bigger fool if you become offended by someone who tried to offend you.

One should not leave the blessings of the gospel or family or life or friends behind just because he or she was offended. The church is not for the perfect or "well". The church is for the imperfect or the "sick." No one is exempt from mistakes and sins. We shouldn't try to offend people, but also we should not be offended whether someone tried to offend us or not. We need to not take peoples opinions as facts or truths. Except my opinion. It is always the way and the light! ;)

WE have soooo much control over how we react to things. Some say, "They made me!" or "I 'll make you" or "change you." We really choose to change or do something.

Growing up if someone said to my dad, "You can't make me!" He'd say, "You're right I can't!"

Don't let yourself become offended because of your own hardheadedness or stubbornness or pride or whatever you want to call it. Yeah, go ahead and resemble, I mean resent that remark. I won't feel bad if you are offended, I didn't mean to offend you.

I know, I'm cold hearted. I don't care enough to change.
"Don't worry! It'll get worse." - Elder Clayton
(Riverdale Stake Conference May 31, 2008. Talking about the Economy and the situation of the world.)

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Well said! It amazes me how people let some off-hand remark affect them enough to give up their beliefs.