Friday, July 4, 2008

Independence Day

This is a beautiful day. I don't have anything new or exciting to say about this day. But I'll say what I have to say anyway. I think it bears repeating.

I'm just profoundly grateful to be a part of this beautiful country. Our foundation is built upon an amazing history. How can we not aspire to greatness when we think about what people did to create and protect our homeland.

I grow increasingly frustrated with the selfishness of this people, particularly when it comes to lawsuits. I hate that health insurance is skyrocketing; I hate that I'm afraid to let my neighbor's kids play in my yard unsupervised; I hate that my mother teaches first graders in fear of their parents. And sometimes I think, " If one more stupid judge rules in favor of someone dumb enough to blame McDonalds for the temperature of their coffee, I swear I'm gonna move to Canada!"

But when I think about it seriously for 5 seconds, there's no way. Because as bad as things get here, I think we have it so much better than most. And we have a history to be proud of, maybe even a tiny-bit boastful.

Thanks to God I live in a country where I can still teach my children what I believe to be true and right, even if that's not as easy as it used to be. Thanks to God I have choices and variety and excess! (hopefully not an excess of excess, if you know what I mean) Thanks be to God I live here.

3 comments:

B said...

Well put!

~tracy~ said...

Yay! Good job. Although, I personally want to move to Switzerland. They are neutral there you know. :)

The Hodsons said...

I'm glad to be an american too! Love this post!