Tuesday, December 2, 2008

UPS Package Car & Trailer Colide with Dump Truck

Ben pulled into work last night and saw this up on a flat bed:

This truck was part of his fleet. Go here for the full story. It spooks me to have something so awful touch my husband. Ben didn't know the driver personally; they worked different shifts and communicated in writing. But he says this driver was very conscientious and took good care of his truck.

It breaks my heart to hear that he was going to retire soon. This might have been his last Christmas season at UPS. My heart goes out to his family, and to the dump truck driver as well. May the comforter be near as they cope with this tragedy.

Utah Highway Patrol and a few other agencies are now scrutinizing Ben's work on this truck. I asked if that bothered him, and he basically said he had nothing to hide. In fact he'd just performed a PMI (preventative maintenance inspection) on this truck a few weeks ago. (much to the relief of his higher-uppers) One of his fellow-mechanics said he was glad it was Ben's truck and not his or someone else's, because he figured Ben's trucks are given the best care.

I'm proud of Ben for always doing honest, thorough work. I thought it was great that when he came home this morning, instead of stewing about the inspections, he went strait to bed and slept soundly on his clean concious.



Apparently the weight of the packages split the trailer wide open. I didn't know that was possible.






Here's the collision. What's left of the dump truck cab is on the right.






Here's the engine of the dump truck. It was severed from the truck at the bell housing and thrown several feet.

4 comments:

Amy said...

It says a lot about Ben's character and work ethic that he's not concerned about his work being scrutinized. It must be nice to know that he has nothing to worry about.

He is such a great guy!

Anonymous said...

"Holy Crap!Batman"

Liz said...

I'm just glad that Ben works on the cars, not drives them! YIKES! It is so nice to be in touch with you! I am glad that you are both well.

CatherineCW said...

I'm sorry about the accident and it's also good to know that Ben handled things well. It's a sign of confidence and integrity. And I've always liked Ben, even in elementary and junior high, you could see his integrity.