Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Proof That the World Isn’t Completely Corrupt!

Phew! Thank heaven for considerate people.
Today I pulled into a parking stall next to a shiny, black Lexus. I drive a Camry, and anyone who owns a Camry knows that the doors swing open wonderfully wide. I used to really love that, but I’m having second thoughts now. Sure enough, as I innocently stepped out of my car, the wind ripped the door out of my grasp and slammed it into the perfectly glassy side of this beautiful car! Trust me, the foot long powder blue stripe didn’t increase the appeal of the Lexus.

I later confronted the Lexus owner and promised her my phone number, so that I could pay for a buff and whatever else she needed. She thanked me for my honesty (like anyone could sleep with a boo-boo that big plaguing their conscience) and insisted it would come right out.


My eyes don’t function quite like they used to, but I’m not blind, so I plead my case again. The woman licked her thumb and began to rub the stripe. No dice; it didn’t change a thing. She licked her thumb again and began to rub the stripe with a fair amount of gusto. The stripe almost laughed.


Then this sweet woman smiled up at me, with all the confidence of a lie-detector operator and said, “See that? It’ll come right out, no problem.” At this point I’m wondering if she thinks I’m stupid. I renewed my offer once more, and she replied, “Look, I’m not going to take money from a young family, under any circumstances, as long as I can help it.” After that she hopped in her blemished chariot and drove away before I could argue further.


What a woman. What a giving human being. Whoever she is, she will have my eternal admiration and gratitude. I wish her all the good things life has to offer and thank her for her fine example.

4 comments:

Allie said...

That brought tears to my eyes. I hope that I would be the same way! Good for you for being honest!

Amy said...

What a wonderful experience!! It's so nice to read about wonderful people like that!

Bonnie the Boss said...

That woman is a true saint!!!

Candace said...

I almost cried too. That is a fantastic example of life. We had stake conference recently and while I was working hard to keep my 3-year old in the seat the whole time, I only caught one message "It is never too early to be nice." I've been trying to live my life by this a little bit more and I am really bad at it. Thanks for your story. Love you.