Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Observation #9,783 On How Parenthood Has Changed My Perspective

On several different occasions during the last month we've taken our boys to visit a few aunts and uncles, and some of our grandparent's graves. I remember similar outings from my youth, planned and carried out by parents, who were (come to find out) actually wiser than I was! (Who knew?!)

It's not that I minded such outings; I generally looked forward to and enjoyed connecting with these people. That's as far as it went for me, however. I knew we were supposed to be mindful of previous generations, but other than a nice day-out, surrounded by people I love, I didn't take any of it too seriously.

Slowly over the last month, it's been dawning on me that something has changed there. While visiting Ben's grandparent's graves, Ben whipped a shovel and broom out of the back of the truck and put our boys to work edging and weeding the headstones. My heart warmed at this opportunity to teach our boys to give back. Once the graves passed inspection we knelt, and Ben prayed that we might feel a connection to these important people whose influence is still so palpable.

This made me think about my own grandparents and other ancestors and just how much they still mean to me, even those I've never known in this life. Then something in my head finally clicked, and I was completely overwhelmed by how incredibly important it is that I teach my kids about these people and what their lives meant!

Connecting with the individuals that make up our heritage clearly offers us a legacy to uphold and maintain. But more than that, when you examine their individual actions and the sacrifices they made to improve life for those that came after, sometimes with those in mind, that they might never meet, you can't help but feel their arms around you and all the love they have for you.

If nothing else, getting-to-know those who've come before, gives a rebellious teen, or an abused child a reason to be proud of their family and remain connected. If there are troubled relationships within an immediate family, a strong heritage can mend bridges and give all involved, a reason to keep trying. Simpler said: a strong past can bind us together here and now. And I intend to seize every opportunity to stay close to my wonderful children and near-perfect husband.

I have no doubt that my parents and in-laws are thinking, "Yes, that's right. She gets it!" Dad B's probably smacked his forehead and said, "Duh!" already. What can I say? I'm slow, but at least I'm moving, right?

7 comments:

Bonnie the Boss said...

Ben is awesome! you are one lucky gal!

Anonymous said...

You and Ben are both awesome. I hope he knows how greatful I am for all he and the family do for the family. Maybe you're a little slow, although you're much faster then I am. John Stockton told me to tell you there's joy in the journey though.


Anonymous

~tracy~ said...

Okay, whoever you are "anonymous" if you are speaking to John Stockton we need to hang out.

Sunshine and Lazy days said...

Connecting with our past is so important! My grandparents passed away a few years ago, and I have realized how much we have lost because of their passing. My grandma had left a journal on her computer, and my cousin ended up taking the computer and erasing the hard drive! I mourn the loss of those stories! Mike's grandma C is turning 80 this year, and we were asked to make a slide show for the party...even though she is not my blood relation, it has been so amazing to look at her life and learn more about her! =)

Candace said...

Thanks for this. Have you had any luck doing family history? Is it all done in your family? When are you coming to Michigan?

Liz said...

I had a similar experience this past week when we attended Ryan's family reunion in Arkansas. It's amazing to me that I can feel a connection with them! I hope that I too can pass on the importance of family to my kids!

The Reeder Raiders said...

I need to go and do that. I have not been to "DAWN'S" site lately. When to kids and I would drive by the cemetery we will say HI DAWNS'!!!! & wave, but that is about it. I have an older sis that is named "Dawn" buried in the baby land area, too.