Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Reason We Call Him 'Smarty'

I have spent a fair amount of time discussing my kids' weaknesses with y'all. So in the interest of balance, I thought I'd take a minute to brag about Smarty.

His advanced thinking amazes me! At least every month or two he knocks me flat with a demonstration of his ability to reason and/or maturity. He absorbs so much and puts it all together without help!

Case in point: he has been reading small words for some time now. We didn't teach him to read! He pushed us to help him get familiar the sounds letters make, and he figured out the rest.
This week we've made several trips to Home Depot, so I'm sure we've talked about the store a little. But the last time we pulled up to the store, I heard Smarty sounding out the words written on the front of the building! I'm sure he had some contextual help, but they're not short and easy words. I'm so impressed!

It was so cute. He was reading slowly along, but when he got to the 't' he said it with a question in his voice. He could see it was there at the end of the word, but he knew the sound didn't belong. Not bad for an almost 4 yr old!

If you have a kid in your house learning letters or leaning to read, check out Starfall.com. It's totally kid friendly, and there's no links to outside sites. Smarty has spent hours quenching his thirst for knowledge with their games and stories. My mom loves it for her first graders.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Way to go Smarty! That really is awesome. I've used starfall too and I also like it for my kids.

Jayme said...

Johnathan's teacher introduced us to Starfall this year, and I have to say, I love as much for Ethan as I do for Johnny. Good job, Smarty! Of course, he has smart parents, so I'm not surprised.

~tracy~ said...

Are you kidding me?? He reads? That is seriously so awesome! And whatever, you always brag about your kids, silly girl. It's great.

I am impressed as heck.

Bonnie the Boss said...

So smart!!! Thanks for the idea on the games!

Jessica Brunson said...

Wow...Serenity just turned 4 and she doesn't even know all her letters yet.