Sunday, October 12, 2008

Smarty's First Snowman

This morning I was up early with Sweety, and in the pre-dawn light I witnessed the first few snowflakes of the season. I must admit it was so beautiful! But it was a bitter-sweet moment, almost unfair that the destroyer of our sunny weather came in such a fluffy package, looking no more harmful than lace, clinging to our green grass.

The snow fell steadily all morning. In fact, by the time we arrived home from church at noon, there was 6 ot 8 inches on the ground. I guess Winter is far too impatient this year to notice that we're only just starting into Autumn here. The trees around here are still holding all their foilage.

It never ceases to amaze me. There was no violent storm, no hullabaloo, and yet, tiny flakes on delicate leaves, tears apart the sturdiest of trees. Trust us; we know. We have the evidence laying in our back yard, waiting to be chopped up and hauled away.

Ah, what can you do? We decided to celebrate. We bundled Smarty up, (ala the Christmas Story style) and he and Ben built his first Snowman... well Snow-person anyway. I'm not quite sure if it's a man or a woman. What do you think?

Gathering plenty of snow









Smarty showing Dad where to put the head














Smarty would pat a little snow around the bottom and announce that he was adding feet or smash some onto the the middle section for hands. He really got into it.





The finished product















Smarty decides he wants his mittens back








Our snowman now leans precariously after having taken a snowball to the head. Thanks a lot Ben!








Smarty and Ben warm back up and talk about how much fun they had.

2 comments:

The Hodsons said...

Haha I love it!!!!! I especially love it's shawl. Don't you love Utah weather,...snowy last weekend and 70 degree weather this weekend. Love it!

Bonnie the Boss said...

Feet are important on a snowman! Do you realize how awesome your hubby is?