As Juniors in high school Ben and I were good friends. His best friend was my boyfriend so we doubled a lot and hung out at school. (His best friend had already graduated) I'm not sure that info is really pertinent to my story today, but there ya go.
Anywhoo, one evening after a football game, Ben found me leaning against the bumper of my father's old Dodge Ram Charger, crying, the victim of a hilarious practical joke. The lights and radio were blaring, the key was in the ignition which was turned on but, the engine was off, and of course, the doors were locked.
Thankfully Ben, the gallant hero, quickly put all to rights, saving the day. (Ya, he's awesome) This wasn't the first or even close to the last time Ben came to my rescue during high school. He was always great at looking out for me. But the fun thing about this particular moment was that for whatever reason at the time he thought, if I were to marry this girl, I'd buy her any car she wanted.
Well folks, last December he did just that. Our '89 Corsica finally kicked the bucket. And even though I'm not looking forward to re-registration at this already costly time of year, it has been one of the best Christmas presents ever.
I freaking love my powder blue 2007 Toyota Carmry! If I literally had my choice of every car on the road, I'd pick it over and over again.
I swear a short person designed it, because the seat, steering wheel, seat belt, and mirrors actually adjust to positions that suit me! It's the first vehicle I've ever driven that I love to drive! The stereo and climate controls are so user-friendly. In other words, a tech retard, such as myself, can easily understand it all.Our Camry is stuffed full of airbags, and other safety features. It's convenient for housing car seats and interacting with kids. The ride is smooth and comfortable, and even though our Camry is only a 4 cylinder, it has plenty of zip! I must also mention that I think it's one of the most attractive cars on the road at the moment, and ours is in my favorite color!
Back to Ben, here he is looking very dapper in his work uniform,
next to our beautiful car. In an attempt to change the re-registration time of year, (It didn't) last Feb. Ben got me a vanity license plate that makes it possible to tell my car from all the other blue Camry's out there.Here it is, covered with bugs from Ben's commute.

Also I never have to worry about forgetting my name! Thanks Ben; you're so thoughtful! I love you hunny.
Ben says:
Lyn failed to mention that I tried to stuff our Corsica up the butt of a truck on Riverdale Rd, the day before Thanksgiving. It truly was a day of thankfulness for her, I think.
The article linked above is pretty accurate. The over 50 crowd simplicity is what Lyn loves!
My wife is totally buffaloed by me. I'm not that great of a guy. But, she thinks I am, and that's all that matters.

4 comments:
very cute story! Ben is a great guy. You two were two of the nicest people in school. We had a Camry too and we loved it.
It's so fun when you get to buy the car you want instead of the one that's just in the budget. Enjoy it!
Lyn-You are right, that is totally a hot mom car.
Ben-You are too that great of a guy! Embrace it, yo.
What a fun car and I love the license plate!! I didn't know you guys were friends from HS. That is so cute!
Post a Comment