Sunday, September 21, 2008

Entertaining a Toddler

I was day-dreaming in the middle of church today. Oops! Uh... I mean... while lost in concentration on some deeply important religious topic, I stumbled across a few memories of Smarty currently on the endangered recollections list. (my memory-recall system is ridiculously fallible)

Before Sweety was born, Smarty was my family's first grand kid and therefore solely responsible for the attentions of my parents and brothers. He didn't utter much then, but his laughter was so musical, we'd all do just about anything to inspire it out of him.

I remember hours and hours of my whole family, 7 grown adults, performing "Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes" and "Jesus Wants Me for a Sun-BEAM!" (The word sunbeam is repeated a dozen or so times, and the last syllable requires the singer to leap to their feet with arms encircling their face) Ah, nothing turns 20-something men to mush like a toddler nephew. Thanks guys. (I wish had footage of my father, the clear star of such recitals. )

Another item on the list: When Smarty was still primarily signing, he would request, with pleading, puppy-dog eyes, the following routine from everyone we'd meet: Smarty's victim would have to place palms together in the traditional prayer sign and while doing their best angel impersonation say, "Good little piggies!" Then while rubbing one index finger across the other, grimace and growl, "Naughty, naughty little piggies!" (We blame Dad for making it up while reading this book, which we love)

If the victim passed, they were rewarded with giggles galore, and endeared to Smarty forever. Or at least until the re-test. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins were subjected to constant testing. Thankfully no one was driven quite crazy. Thanks to all who put up with that phase. Needless to say we are lucky to be surrounded by two great families.

6 comments:

Bonnie the Boss said...

I still remember us all wanting him to do the sign for Andy. It will always be one of my favorites.

Bonnie the Boss said...

Such an adorable little boy!!! I love you Smarty.

Tiffany said...

Gotta love the power babies have over grown-ups! Of course we love making them laugh just as much as the kids love us entertaining them so I guess it wall works out.

Lynners said...

Amy reminded me that Smarty loved to go through all of our family's name signs. It was important to him to catalog everyone.

You're right Bonnie and Ben, Andy's and Joe's were everyone's favorites. Andy's sign evolved into an up-side-down flexing of his biceps, and Joe's evolved into one finger up his nose.

So funny! I need to have Amy scan my pictures of him doing those signs!

Jessica Brunson said...

Lyn, I linked to your blog from Alison's blog. Your 2 kids are so cute. It sounds like motherhood is treating you pretty good. Say hi to David and the rest of your family for me...Jessica (Ludlow) Brunson

~tracy~ said...

oh my gosh! he is soooo cute. those pictures are great.