It was a day chuck full of family, food, and fun. I love days when you move from one great gathering to the next with no time to think about all the things you should be doing at home. I love a constant stream of good conversation and the clinking of overly-busy utensils in hungry hands.
However, in the morning, while we were waiting to eat breakfast at a cute little restaurant, Smarty was playing on the train platform. (don't worry, no trains were running) But simply because he's my kid, and therefore blessed with the ability to trip over absolutely nothing, Smarty biffed it, while in a dead sprint, and smashed his face squarely into a metal bench.

Oh my gosh. So much blood. Poor kid. He is so dang tough though. After a good cry and some serious cleaning, he bucked right up. The swelling and coloring made it obvious that his nose was broken, but Smarty didn't seam to mind. With the holiday, the only medical facility open was the ER, and Smarty was far from declaring a state of emergency, so we happily went about our day.

Don't worry, we checked for loose teeth and listened to be sure he could breathe and watched for damage to his eyes, but he really appeared okay. I think the only real problem would have been if I'd have canceled our day and tried to keep him calmly at home.
I'm so proud of the way that Smarty handles injures and pain in stride. He never lets anything as silly as a broken bone keep him from accomplishing his important goals.
Today we went to the doc and received her official 'okay.' Now the only thing to do is postpone our family pictures for a day or two!

3 comments:
Poor kid! I'm glad that he's okay though. Glad you guys had a good Labor day Holiday too. Tyler and I did absolutley nothing and it was just WONDERFUL!
Glad to hear he's officially okay. Sounds like you guys had a fun labor day, it's great to have those days where you can just visit with everyone!
oh man, bless his heart! Were his eyes black the next day? I don't know of hardly anything that hurts as much as hitting that bone right there. Seriously, that's the worst! What a brave little guy.
Post a Comment