Friday, August 13, 2010

Watching Sweety with Bated Breath

For the sake of record keeping I must mention that Sweety had another "breath holding" episode last week. He fell off a chair and scraped his face in the process, which triggered the trauma. As usual, he just continued to exhale as part of his cry until he stopped breathing. Then he seized, but it wasn't grand mal this time, he just stiffened up, moaned, crossed his eyes and rolled them up into his head and passed out (then he resumed breathing). He was pale and worn out for a while when he woke up, but recovered within a few hours.

It never fails to rattle me when this happens. Even though I know he's not in any danger, it's hard to push away the panic that threatens to take me over.

They keep saying he'll grow out of this.

But we all know growing is not really his strong point. :)

4 comments:

Sunshine and Lazy days said...

oh my! He sounds like my little sister. She use to cry like that and then pass out, I remember my mom holding her and demanding "breathe Audrey, just breathe!" which only resulted in scaring Audrey more, so would cry harder..and then turn red, blue and the pale and pass out.. not fun. Luke has only passed out once from crying and that was enough! Poor Sweety, I hope he's okay!

Tiffany said...

Two of my kids do that and even though there's not a lot of danger in it, it is very scary to go through!

Fortunately they do seem to grow out of it. For me the worst part is that there's nothing I can do but wait for them to decide to breath again. And when it's happening, it's a very long wait. Hang in there!

Bonnie the Boss said...

You have every right to be scared. It is your gut reaction as a mom. I hope he does grow out of it too!

~tracy~ said...

Hey I forgot to tell you that Piper finally grew out of it. When she cries now, it's like it starts the same, but then just keeps going, instead of the exhale part of the cry and then pass out. So yeah, finally.

Also, do you blow in his face when he starts crying and you can tell it is going to be the cry until i pass out kind of cry?

It sounds mean, but it works. My pediatrician told me to do it. You just blow directly and pretty forcefully right in their face, it causes them to inhale. Worth a try?