Friday, May 1, 2009

Re-Falling In Love With My Violin

I've recently begun playing my violin again. Years have passed since I last picked up my beautiful violin. It has been almost a decade since I last studied or played in a formalized group of any kind. That's disgusting; I know. Shame on me. But I'm having a much different experience this time around.

I have no high school teachers depending on me to bring attention to their under-funded programs, no jury of college professors to impress in order to make the right grade, no button-busting parents to please (don't worry mom, I now know that was all me. I now know that you'd have been my biggest fan no matter what I chose to do or not do), no required daily 60min. practice sessions to push through, no contests to win or benchmarks & accolades to acquire.

It's true that I've lost a significant portion of the skill I once had. Sometimes it's almost painful to listen to myself, but it's nice to be playing simple songs again. It gives me the opportunity to focus on the basics like I've never done, because I'm more patient with myself than I was a decade ago, and because I can't play very complicated pieces right now. If I keep playing, I believe I will be much better this time around.

I realize that I probably brought upon myself most of the pressure I used to feel. My teachers and professors really weren't vultures pushing their own agendas. I'm sure they wanted me to succeed for myself. But either way that pressure is gone now! It's just me and my violin. I play when I want to and stop when I feel like it. And for the first time in maybe 15 years or so, I'm enjoying a deep sense of satisfaction. Which is as great as anything my violin and I have ever achieved.

11 comments:

Sunshine and Lazy days said...

I think it's great you are playing again! I wish I had a cello, every few months I long to play those strongs again! Keep enjoying it!

Liz said...

Recently in a RS lesson we talked about how our talents are gifts from our Heavenly Father that help us to deal with our lives and make us stronger. It sounds like you've really discovered something new about your long lost talent. I would love to hear you play sometime!

Bonnie the Boss said...

I am so glad you are enjoying yourself and doing it just for you!

Anonymous said...

Love it Lynners. We do indeed need to play again together soon. I'm pretty sure that's not your beautiful violin in that picture. Let's get a pict of your priceless instrument up here... jk. I'm thrilled you're enjoying playing. I think I felt that way when I first started to feel comfortable playing in college, then I got worn out with all the play time. I don't know how music majors make it through.

Sue said...

Good for you! I'm sad to say it's been equally as long since I took out Clary (my clarinet). I should dig it up and follow your example! Good for you!

Teresa said...

This is wonderful. I'd love to hear you play anything at all!

~tracy~ said...

oh man, i am soooo jealous. i love LOVE violins and want to learn to play one pretty much more than anything. it's been my goal for quite a while.

I want to hear you play so much now. I love it. Good for you!

KT'SFST1 said...

Good for you Lyn. Coming of age is a good thing and doing things because you want to can be very rewarding. Can't wait to hear you play it some time "just for fun" no pressure intended. Love ya, Mom B

Elizabeth said...

I loved this post. And I know where you're coming from. Fortunately I was able to keep up with my clarinet through college, despite being a physics major, but really lost the time when I went to graduate school. I'm so glad you've reconnected with it. :)

Tiffany said...

You've inspired me to spend some more time with my long lost instrument friends.

Christina said...

I found that too. I get asked to play my flute in church every now and then and really love pulling it out. My girls are so fascinated with it and I have started teaching them. Now I wish I still have that uhhh not soo good flute I learned on instead of my nice one. Oh well.